Eastenders Baby Swap Cut Short: Twitter Complaints Keep Coming

January 7, 2022 | Maddy Rowe

Read More: , , , ,

Eastenders Baby Swap Cut Short: Twitter Complaints Keep Coming

Here at OSM we reported just over a week ago about British soap opera “EastEnders” and a recent storyline that has proved itself to be more than controversial. In fact as well as comments on here and other sites, the BBC have received over 6,000 complaints about the storyline being taken too far.

For those of you who may not watch the four night a week programme, two couples the Branning’s and Moon’s both gave birth to baby sons’ at Christmas time. Subsequently after getting home from hospital, Ronnie Branning played by Samantha Womack had found her baby son James passed away in his cot. In a state of complete shock and panic, she made her way to the Queen Vic Public House where she swapped the babies, to leave with the Moon’s son “Tommy.”

Due to a mountain of complaints as Metro reported, including that of campaigners at Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (Sids), the storyline will now end early in the Spring, which is sooner than anticipated. Campaigner for Sids and TV personality “Anne Diamond,” who lost her own baby in 1991, said the storyline was a “crass twist to an otherwise credible storyline. It has not done one iota of good in educating a young audience about cot death.”

Twitter comments have been plenty but very mixed. They include, “That the storyline is ending in Spring, pathetic.” Others have said, “If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.”

It seems that everybody has an opinion. Tell us if you haven’t already, your thoughts on the storyline, and the news of it finishing early?

1. laura says:

I think that showing cot death is a good to make awareness but to swap babies is disgusting and shockin they have gone to far ! Why would any mother want there new born baby played in such a sick storyline 2 ?

2. Amanda says:

I agree with you why would someone let their baby be a part of such a sick story most say it’s just a soap? Just a storyline? However in the area I live in a woman had a baby and sadly the baby has died of cot death and on new years eve I cannot even contemplate how this poor girl feels, I think leaving it to spring to end the storyline is disgusting who ever write this script should have their contract reviewed preferably terminated.

3. Anne says:

The storyline is just so twisted and sick and then that pseudo concerned announcement at the end with a helpline number just enrages me! "If you have been affected by any of the issues we have certainly made you feel a lot worse so phone this number if you're not already swinging from the rafters"
    Jesse Wallace is acting the part brilliantly, however, and Samantha's talents have been wasted by Eastenders script and story wrioters.

4. Ju says:

Eastenders have done nothing wrong there not saying that every breeved parent would swop there baby that is silly to say the least, Robbia character is much more then a breeved parent she was abused by her dad lost her daughter infront of her very own eyes and had a miscarriage so her character had been through more then enough to drive any one to unreasonable behaviour most bereaved parents wouldn’t dream of doing this or come in to a situation to be able to do that is a soap!!! There’s more to robbia then a breeved parent, eastenders have defiantly raised cot death awareness and Samantha Womack deserves a medal for what she has to put up with she’s just doing her job what a great job she’s done

5. Anna says:

I find the story line of the baby swap quite disturbing. It plays on my mind for ages after the programme ends and I JUST SO BADLY WANT TO SEE RONNIE GIVE THE BABY BACK TO KAT..its heartbreaking to watch and I find myself talking to the tv telling Ronnie to take the baby back. I have been a fan of Eastenders since the beginning , but this is the first story line I want to see the end of. I feel very strongly about it ..In fact I think it should be axed !

6. Dolly says:

Yeah, axed. It's not clever compulsive viewing ,It's uncomfortable. An uninspired writing team grasping for a future 'bang' of an episode by taking us on crap twists and turns while we spit at the telly only half watching because facebook has suddenly become a better storyline but alas, we are already insulted and bored and that big finale to ease Kat's torture will be a huge anticlimax to what could have scraped by with dignity if the story had of concluded already.
    Eastenders….background noise.

7. John says:

They made a big mistake when the Little Mo story dragged on too long.
    This latest one was probably going to run and run.It is such a bad idea that i thought the cast may have refused, after all it is they who have to face the public. We will have nothing more to do with the show in our house, I dont even want to hear the opening bars of the theme tune. Goodbye Eastenders, R.I.P. John

8. marshall says:

the story in eastenders is sick to let them say good bye to there son , then months later find it was living in the street all the time bad taste , well i to say goodbye to the show .

9. labonna says:

i think east enders is great but i think ronnie should straight away tell kat that she stole her baby….